Friday, April 8, 2011

What I Am

I am unappologetically non-conformist.  I buck the basics of society that most people govern their lives by...marriage, religion, breeding and the art of consumerism.  I own better than I rent.  The two times that I've signed leases I've broken them...and the same can be said for marriage licenses. 
I take the next logical step but without over thinking or planning out the next 10 steps to follow.  I feel entirely too young to have smile lines but at the same time I feel like I've lived so many lives before. 

My house is packed up...yet again.  This little island has been the only consistent thing in my life.  For 20 years now...its been there.  I remember the feeling of relief that I felt for all those years when I would drive down and cross over Highway 17.  It's the same feeling I feel everyday now...not having to contend with the real world....the one that exists away from the ocean.  I've sworn to never leave the coast again....I have found me a home...in a sense.  And I'm not now...just migrating a little tiny bit souther.  Unfortunately it will not be enough for the weather to suit my clothes but its that next logical step that I pride myself in being able to find with very little effort every time. 

There's good in everything.  Seeing the waterway from my rented deck.  Grilling for yourself at lunch time on a Thursday with a cold Corona.  Going to miss those things.  Think I may miss the complete lack of obligation...the idea that I could pick up and haul ass at any given moment.  I like the idea of it but it makes me feel restless and unsettled and dangerous at the same time.  Looking forward to not feeling that way. 

So if something calls for a tablespoon of vegetable oil and you just spray the shit out of it with that oil in a can stuff...does that count?  I'm still always gonna be just me.

No comments: