Tuesday, April 19, 2011

One That Matters

Today is the birthday of my best friend and running buddy Nanner.  We met about 6 years or so ago...like most relationships that are meant to be...completely random and haphazardly.  I was in sales and she was in marketing.  One of my hated cold calls turned into one of the best friendships of my life.  I was at her 30th birthday get together...it was the first time we went from work interaction to real life.  (Note I just finished off the bottle of liquor I gave her that year the last time I visited...I know her better now...I no longer buy her liquor.)  We went to drag queen bingo together and she brought me stacks of movies and kept me company when I was on house lock down from having my neck screwed back together.  She took a picture of Beaver when he was wearing his neck brace and emailed it to me with a conversation bubble above his head so that he could do movie reviews.  It was the beginning of my alter ego expressing himself.
She was the one I turned to when my marriage went horribly wrong and I had no place to go and no one to care.  She's been there as I've picked the pieces up time and time again.  We share the same cynical possibly jaded view of the world and its inhabitants.  And she's one of the few people that I seriously do no worry about offending...not that I worry more that I can't.
We've shared the ups and downs of our 30's, many a cocktail and woos and maybe a drunken shadow puppet or two.  We've been mistaken for sisters or chicks that prefer comfortable shoes more times thank can be counted.  She told me I'm the only person from her 30th party that she still speaks to...I'm glad its me.
Happy Birthday Nanner.

No comments: