Thursday, June 5, 2008

Greenhorn Girl

HOOTY HOO!! I am the CRAB MASTER! Well, at least in my own mind. Last weekend Mr. Man took me crabbing for the first time in girl's life. OMG I loved it....and you can drink all the beer you want and still not screw anything up. I learned to tie knots and rig pots and I got to bait them with fish guts and turkey necks and all kinds of gross goey stinky stuff. The next morning we got up @ the ass crack of dawn and went to check pots...dude we had all kinds of crabs. It was awesome....I wore little yellow fishing overalls and got dirty as hell. My inner tomboy came raging to the surface and there was absolutely no hiding it. Mr. Man said that he had never seen me so in my element...I figure I looked a lot like a tall grinning version of Opie with a pony tail.

Here's a little something that I didn't know....you clean the crabs while they are still alive....UUUGGGHHKK...that freaked me out for the first couple but then I figured I shouldn't be hypocritical and want to eat every crab cake that comes within a 10mile radius of me if I wasn't willing to accept how they come about. So I bucked up and I now can break off pinchers, remove a back shell and fling out guts like nobody's bidness. Sexy huh?

So speaking of crabs....my dog has his own little version of the critters. I officially suck as a dog mom. I am sooo pissed. I pay out the ass for those stupid little squeezy things from the vet that you put on their back. And I keep up with it...always keep the dates we (me & dog)put them on written on the box. 5/5....and somewhere Memorial weekend little dog man starts scratching so I put another on him. Hell no too late... full outbreak of the dog crabs. Dude I am not digging this. 2 home flea dips later we seem to have it under control except that he's all OCD now and licks and nibbles all over himself even tho there's not a single sign of the dog crabs anymore. I suck.


So, the night before the earlier mentioned gut flinging we were out at about sunset putting the pots in and we had plenty of beer and a cooperating tide so he decided to show me the back way to the old inlet...you gotta know which way to go or you could manage the need to carry your boat back to water or run out of beer waiting for the next high tide, neither of which are cool. We were right out where the inlet is or was... and I turned and guess what I saw.... my old house....you could see it from way out there. Guess I never really realized how big it was. And right then it hit me, I don't miss any of that old life...even the stuff that I was so scared to let go of. It seems more like a dream than anything, not somewhere that I ever was. And you know what....I wouldn't give up a single thing that I have for one minute to have any part of that life back....except the dog crabs...we could let those go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!
JJ